Here to help you get a better nights rest
Los Angeles, CA Sleep Clinic Serving Surrounding Communities
The study is a safe, painless and simple evaluation of how your body functions during sleep. It is performed by a registered sleep technician. The data, recorded while you are sleeping, is later reviewed by a board- certified sleep physician. The clinical term for a sleep study is polysomnogram (PSG).
For comfort and privacy, the room is designed as a bedroom. There will be a bed with pillows and blankets. There may be a night stand,reading lamp, and television in the the room. You can bring objects from home to make the environment more comfortable for you.
Sleep studies are covered by most insurance plans. You should have your insurance information available when scheduling your sleep study appointment. We are currently taking Health Care Partners, Physicians association, Allied Physicians, MediCal, Medicare, and PPO insurance plans.
Snoring is a noise made by vibration of tissue in the throat. Snoring occurs most often when the air passages are narrowed. This can happen in many people during an acute condition such as a head cold, but most individuals who snore loudly and persistently have sleep apnea.
Hypnotic drugs to promote sleep can be of benefit primarily to patients who are having difficulty initiating sleep when under acute stress or when traveling. Sleeping drugs should never be taken for more than 2-3 days, however, without a discussion with your physician. Long-term use of sleeping meds can actually contribute to insomnia.
No pillow has ever been shown to be an effective treatment for sleep apnea. For that reason most patients do well focusing on what pillow is most comfortable.
Facts about Sleep Apnea
• 20 million Americans are affected by sleep apnea and 80% are never diagnosed or treated.
• 50% of males with Type 2 Diabetes develop sleep apnea.
• Sleep apnea increases the risk of stroke by 2.5 times in the elderly.
• Sleep apnea is linked to depression, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
• Sleep apnea is a 10 second pause in breathing followed by a decrease in oxygen intake that normally interrupts patients.
• People do not realize that they have sleep apnea because they are asleep, but others near them are likely to see the symptoms.
• Snoring and daytime tiredness are good reasons to have a sleep study.